Making a request for support from the Education Welfare Service using an Early Help Assessment (EHA)

msdoc Children Missing from Education Request for Support
msdoc Education Welfare Request for Service

Service information:

The Education Welfare Service (EWS) fulfils Somerset County Council’s statutory responsibility ensuring parents and carers enable access to a full time education for their children, either in a school or otherwise. Information regarding the Education Welfare Service, including criteria to access the service, should be referred to and can be found on the Professional Choices website ( and/or the Support Services for Education website (

Our work includes:

  • Identifying pupils who do not attend school regularly.
  • Working with schools to support the good attendance of all pupils.
  • Making use of meetings with parents and schools to resolve difficulties with attendance; when necessary EWS makes use of the statutory powers of Somerset County Council, including the use of penalty notices and prosecutions.
  • Tracking children who are missing education, perhaps having moved out of county, for example, which fulfills Somerset’s statutory responsibilities for “Children Missing Education”.
  • Contact with families who have elected to home educate their children.
  • We provide a licensing service for children in entertainment and employment and for chaperones.

Service specific criteria:

Service specific criteria:

Request for Education Welfare Involvement

If a school has a concern about a child’s school attendance they can request the involvement of the Education Welfare Service by way of a completing and submitting an Early Help Assessment (EHA) or a Request for Involvement (RFI). Which form  to complete will depend on the circumstances, please see below for further information.

Please Note: An up to date and accurate Attendance Registration Certificate should be attached along with the EHA or RFI. Without this the EWS will be unable to process your request.

A request for casework support using the EHA can be made if the following conditions are met:

  • 10 or more unauthorised sessions (in a period of no more than 12 school weeks) (include dates)

Please read these notes alongside the EHA:

  • Sections 1 and 2: Need to be completed
  • Section 3: Does not need completing.
  • Section 4: We require details of the child being referred and also any details you have about other siblings in order to provide a wider context and allow checks to be made about previous family intervention.
  • Section 5: We require the names, address and contact details of parents / carers and any step parents that reside with the child.
  • Section 6: We need to know professionals who are directly involved with the child you are referring. Please complete the whole section to provide a wider context paying particular attention to 6b. This is particularly important for schools to explain to us the action taken before the referral. In here please record any letters that were sent and dates listed, meetings that were offered, outcomes etc. We will not be asking them to attach the letters to the EHA, so we will need them listed here.
  • Section 7: Please use 7a to explain the current attendance situation. I.e. In the last 12 weeks there have been x unauthorised absences and x authorised absences. Any other information in Section 7 is welcomed.
  • Section 8: Please complete as you are able to.
  • Section 9: Consent is not required. Please use the drop down menu to select “Education Welfare Service”
  • Please ensure you send the EHA to and the with the Attendance Registration Certificate.

An EHA is NOT required in the following circumstances (use the RFI instead):

  • 1.The child has term time leave of at least 10 consecutive sessions of unauthorised absence G code and the school wish to request a PN.
  • 2.The child has 10 or more unauthorised sessions (in a period of no more than 12 school weeks) and the School wish to apply for a Warning Penalty Notice.
  • 3.The School wish to request a Prosecution and have the required standard of supporting evidence. (This will need to be approved by the EWS).

Please send the RFI with an Attendance Registration Certificate and the letter advising parents of the request for a  Penalty Notice to

Exit from School (Elective Home Education)

You do not automatically need to complete an EHA if a parent has decided to electively home educate their child as this is not necessarily warranted. Schools must continue to notify the Education Welfare Service when a parent has made a decision to remove their child from the school roll in order to electively home educate. To do this, please complete the online EHE form.

However if you have an open EHA, for the child, you may use section 9 of the EHA to make a request for support.

Child Missing Education (CME)

A Child Missing Education does not automatically require an EHA, however it is the school’s responsibility to report the CME to the Local Authority by completing the attached CME request form (see top of the page). A child could be CME in the following circumstances:

  • Failure to arrive at school on an agreed date
  • Believed to have moved without advising the school of a new address or change of school
  • Failure to return to school from a holiday on an agreed date LINK to submit the form

However if you have an open EHA, for the child, you may use section 9 of the EHA to make a request for support.

Contact details:

Children Missing Education (CME)
Email address:
Telephone number: 0300 123 2224
Address: N/A

Education Welfare Service – Request for Involvement
Email address:
Telephone number: 01823 348265
Address: N/A

Elective Home Education

Email address:
Telephone number: 0300 123 2224
Address: N/A