We visit children and young people in their homes, pre-school settings, schools and colleges in and beyond Somerset.
We provide information to children and young people, parents, carers and staff about the effects of physical impairments and/or medical needs, and strategies to support access to learning and independence.
We offer support, training and advice for children and young people, parents/carers and staff in order to be sure the requirements of your child or young person are planned for in all settings and at transition.
We offer advice and training about meeting the needs of children with recording, communication and assistive technology requirements.
We provide advice and support access to assistive devices such as communication aids and specialist IT equipment.
Service Criteria to include in the EHA:
Criteria to access this service, should be referred to and can be found below and/or on the Support Services for Education website.
The below information is required in addition to the information already requested in the EHA.
We only require details of the child/young person being referred but you may complete the whole section to provide a wider context.
We only require the names, address and contact details of parents/carers
• We only need to know professionals who are directly involved with the child/young person you are referring; please ensure you provide the details of the child’s/young person’s orthoptist/ophthalmologist. You may complete the whole section to provide a wider context.
For SENATAS please ensure you note the following in section 7:
• Information Technology (IT) Assessment – Does the child/young person understand cause and effect? Current method of recording? Familiar with Upper/Lowercase? Reading age? Spelling age?
• Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Assessment – How does the child/young person communicate at present? School/setting using Inclusive Communication (formally STC) strategies? Are “low tech” communication aids e.g. photo books, being used and how?
For PIMST please ensure you include the following in section 7:
• Child/young person’s means of communication e.g speech, signing, symbols and/or gestures in section 7d.
• Child/young person’s main means of mobility e.g walking or powered wheelchair user.
• Child/young person’s other means of mobility, if appropriate e.g walking frame and/or sticks.
Use the drop-down menu to select “Physical Impairment and Medical Support Team”.
Email address: InclusionSENSupportServices@somerset.gov.uk