What is a One Team?
One Teams have been working in Somerset since the Halcon One Team was first established in 2013. They are structured on an award winning model that provides an effective means of agencies working closely together to support vulnerable communities and to reduce overall demand on the public sector.
Their aim is to work in Somerset’s most vulnerable communities and provide co-ordinated front-line multi-agency working to efficiently provide sustainable solutions for families and individuals that prevent problems escalating and costs increasing to the public sector.
Principles of One Team working
• Takes a ‘whole family’ perspective, recognising that issues are complex and often relate to a wider family dynamic that needs to be addressed simultaneously
• Meets the principles of Early Help – address issues early for children, to stop them escalating and becoming more serious. Complies with the ‘Effective Support for Children and Families in Somerset’ guidance.
• Aligns with the government’s Troubled Family objectives providing incentives and sanctions for families to engage and take ownership of addressing issues; provides a nominated case worker for that family – a professional that has a relationship of trust and can co-ordinate support for that family
• Advocates a One Public Sector ethos of working with an emphasis on right person, right place and right time
• Identify and Enrol key partners that will strengthen the One Team approach and collectively deliver a better and more sustained outcome for vulnerable families
Think Differently, Do Differently
‘Think Differently, Do Differently’ has been the strapline of One Teams since their inception. It reflects the ethos of continuously trying to find new and better ways to resolve the issues that face families and communities. All agencies working in One Teams have found this challenging at different times, particularly moving away from ‘traditional’ public sector working in vertical areas of specialism, to a more horizontal ‘joined up’ approach. One Team working is never easy and continues to challenge us, but we believe the outcomes we are seeing in our vulnerable communities has justified the commitment.
For further information on the principles of the One Team and how the operate, please download the Somerset One Teams brochure.